I’m Kylie Harrington and I will be coaching your son/daughter’s team this fall along with Will Harris and Christopher Woitowicz as assistant coaches. My main goal this season is to inspire a love for soccer, and create a high energy encouraging experience so that your child looks forward to coming to play every Saturday. Each time we have together, I intend to have our players get as much time handling the ball as possible, thus building a strong foundation for all of them to grow as skilled players. I will do my best to make sure that each player has a positive experience. Please contact me at anytime with any questions or concerns.
Prior to our first game this coming weekend, I wanted to share some key information – there’s a fair amount of info here, so please bear with me…
Games / Practice:
Our 1st game is on Saturday, September 11th. All games are Saturdays from 12:00PM – 1:15PM at Cow Pond. Field assignment is noted on the GDYSC website (field map attached for reference). There is no game on October 9th.
• All players will need to bring a size 3 ball, water bottle, shin guards and cleats. Everyone will need a reversible maroon/white GDYSC jersey. If you don’t have one from last season or need to go up in size, you can order a new one through Soccer Stuff in Acton. (https://shop.esoccerstuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GDYS%5Freversible%2D).
• We will do our best to start at noon, so please try to arrive 15 minutes before the game.
• The 75 minute session is split somewhat in half with the first 30-40 minutes as practice, the last 30-40 minutes for the game, and some time in the middle for snack. There is no additional team practice session during the week.
• Games are played regardless of weather (unless the fields are closed by the Groton Parks and Recreation Commission due to rain). In the event of cancellation, it will be posted on the Groton-Dunstable club web site at www.gdysc.org at least two hours before game time. I will also send out an email notifying you of any cancellations. Cancelled sessions will NOT be rescheduled.
• Games will be 4v4 with no goalie. Note that PreK/K and Grade 1/2 soccer in Massachusetts is non-outcome based. That means that scores and standings are not published, there are no post-season tournaments that teams are vying for and this level of play is intended to be purely developmental.
• “Home Team” wears maroon jerseys, “Away Team” wears white.
• No jewelry is allowed.
• Primary information is available at the Mass Covid Hub https://www.mayouthsoccer.org/covid-hub/
• We are recommending that coaches and assistants wear masks and follow all of the recommendations from Mass Youth Soccer available on their Covid Hub website.
• Nate Shapiro is the club Covid Compliance officer, any questions or concerns can start with your coach who can contact Nate.
Please refrain from coaching your player or any other players from the sidelines. The coaches will help the players from the sideline as necessary, but we do not want them to be confused by multiple voices telling them what to do. In addition, parents and other spectators should only be cheering good plays, by either team. Our primary goal is to develop the players and have fun. We may see some lopsided games at this level and it is our job as coaches to make sure we do not embarrass our opponent. If a game starts to get out of hand, the coaches will incorporate steps to try to keep the game close.
The players usually enjoy a small snack at halftime and at the end of each game. Due to on-going COVID concerns, we’ll plan to have players bring their own snacks rather than team shared snacks.
I hope I have covered everything, but if not, please check out the club website at www.gdysc.org for updates and please do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached via email or text at Kyliemharrington@gmail.com or 951-847-6140.
Can’t wait to see you all on the field on Saturday!